Can't find what you are looking for in the Catalog? Place a Request.
Your request may be purchased for the library or borrowed from another library via interlibrary loan.
How many requests can I make for items not in your catalog?
Approximately 5 per week or 20 per month.
Can I request something before it's published or released?
Yes - Items may be requested up to six months prior to publication or announced release date.
How long will it take for me to get this item?
3 to 6 weeks, or longer in some cases. If you need it sooner, call the Reference Center at 360-305-3600.
Can I request DVDs or VHS Tapes?
Entertainment DVDs released within the last 4 years are not available on interlibrary loan. Your requests will be considered for purchase. We do not purchase or borrow VHS tapes.
Can I request an entire television series?
Yes, But please fill out a separate request form for each season that you wish to view.
Can I request Magazines?
We do not borrow issues of magazines on interlibrary loan. If you are looking for a particular article, check our databases first, if unavailable, use the Request form.
Can I request videogames?
The library currently offers Xbox and Wii games to check out, but because of our limited budget and the demand for these games we do not accept request for new titles.
Can I request eBooks or eAudiobooks?
Requests for eBooks and eAudiobooks may be made using the Beyond the Catalog request form. WCLS purchases downloadable materials from Overdrive and has access only to materials available on the Overdrive platform. If a requested item is not available for library purchase, patrons will be informed by email that the request cannot be filled. If a requested item is purchased, patrons will receive an email referring them to the Washington Anytime Library website where they place a request. Library staff are not able to place requests for patrons for downloadable items.
Beyond the Catalog: Detailed Help
How do I request something that is not in the catalog?
- For a particular book, CD, DVD or other item, fill out Request form.
- Provide as much information as possible: author or performers, title, volume number if there is more than one volume, approximate date of publication, and ISBN.
- If you found item on www.amazon.com , www.worldcat.org , www.cdbaby.com , www.barnesandnoble.com or other online resource, copy and paste the URL in the space provided on the Request form. The URL is the address of the webpage item details and appears in a box at the top of your browser.
- If not sure how to do copy and paste URL, or can't find the item you want, there is another space where you can give us more information that could help us: where did you hear of the item? When? Useful information includes the television, radio program, or magazine article that discussed it; or listing in a bibliography in a book or magazine. Have you read, heard, or seen this item before? When? What is it about?
- Whole issues of magazines that are not at WCLS or BPL cannot be borrowed from other library systems. If you want your library to subscribe to a particular magazine, please talk to the staff at your local library.
What happens after I make a request?
- WCLS staff will consider the requested item for purchase, taking into account availability and whether or not it conforms with our collection policy.
- It may take 3 to 6 weeks for an item to arrive if purchased, and sometimes longer for some materials.
- If not purchased, we will attempt to borrow the item from a library outside Whatcom County via Interlibrary Loan.
- If we can't provide you with this item, we will let you know. If you have questions about the status of your request, please call your local library.